Sponsored by We Are Teachers, The Allstate Foundation, and WE.
From the Cool Cat Teacher Blog by Vicki Davis
Follow @coolcatteacher on Twitter
Service learning is when students learn by serving others. We Volunteer Now has fantastic resources, and they’re awarding $250 grants for 500 schools to use toward volunteer projects. Transform your school by helping students design their own project to inspire and improve their community.
What Is WE Volunteer Now?
We Volunteer Now helps schools organize service projects and gives grants to classrooms and clubs that can help them with their volunteering goals. Through the support of the Allstate Foundation, WE gives these $250 grants to 500 schools/classrooms.
There are many reasons to join WE Schools:
- WE Schools Kit gives you lots of service ideas and lesson plans to align with your curriculum. This will help you make service learning part of what you do.
- WE Day – Six cities across the country host WE Day, an event where speakers, performers, and students who have been serving their community come together to celebrate service learning.
- Many schools are doing service learning! Last year, 4,200 schools representing 1.3 million students signed up.
- AP with WE Service Course lets AP teachers incorporate service learning into their existing AP courses. Computer Science A, Human Geography, Environmental Science, Spanish Language and Culture, European History and Art: 2D Design all have service learning opportunities.
Why Help Kids Volunteer?
Volunteering has been shown to help improve the health and well-being of volunteers and donors. If you use this special tracking link, you’ll get an instant download from WE Volunteer, with information and resources on how to get started and access to the lessons.
What Is In the Kit?
When you sign up, you’ll get the WE Volunteer Now Campaign Resources including:
- A step-by-step guide on getting started with service learning
- Volunteering ideas
- Teacher checklists to keep you on track
- A worksheet that will help you and your students decide what works best for you
- We Volunteer Now curriculum
How to Apply for the Grant
Made possible by The Allstate Foundation, the WE Volunteer Now grants help schools and youth groups in their effort to give back to their local communities in a creative and unique way! The grants are worth $250, and there are 500 available. The grants will be distributed on a first-come, first-served basis to all eligible schools/groups, to be used toward supporting your volunteer project! The eligible school or youth organization must:
- Have an educator, administrator, or adult group leader to fill out this application https://goo.gl/FPpSyz
- Be based in the U.S. and registered in the WE Schools program(see program rules)
- Plan to use the provided funds between October 2017 and October 2018
- Include students/youth participants in grades K-12
- Participate in the WE Volunteer Now Campaign
What Is WE Charity?
WE Charity is an international charity and educational partner. It operates collaborative programs both domestically and internationally. The Allstate Foundation has selected WE as its #1 charity partner.
WE Schools and WE Day are initiatives of WE that educate and empower young people. WE Schools is a yearlong educational program that nurtures compassion in students and gives them the tools to create transformative social change. And WE Day is a series of stadium-sized events that celebrate youth making a difference in their local and global communities.
The post Service Learning: Grants and FREE Resources to Help Your Students Serve and Grow appeared first on Cool Cat Teacher Blog by Vicki Davis @coolcatteacher helping educators be excellent every day. Meow!