A conversation with Alice Chen on Episode 55 of the 10-Minute Teacher Show
From the Cool Cat Teacher Blog by Vicki Davis
Follow @coolcatteacher on Twitter
Today Alice Chen @wondertechedu teaches us about digital citizenship. She discusses five things every digital citizen should know. For each digital citizenship item, she gives classroom examples. Several important topics arise including how to talk to your students about their positive online presence and online professionalism.
- Stream by clicking here.
- Download this episode to listen offline by right-clicking here and choosing “Save As.”
In today’s show, Alice and I talk about 5 things every digital citizen should know including:
- Three basic internet safety issues
- The need for students to have a positive online identity
- Helping students interact online using the language of success – academic language. (Editor’s Note: In my opinion, the way Alice teaches IM speech versus academic speech is powerful.)
- Authentic audience and blogging
I hope you enjoy this episode with Alice!
Selected Links from this Episode
- The 9 C’s of Digital Citizenship by Alice Chen
- Google Classroom
- The Value of Authentic Audience on Edutopia by Monica Burns
- Creative Commons licensed
- See also Copyright 101: A Simple Lesson in Licenses video tutorial
Alice Chen is a teacher and technology coach in Southern California. In addition to these roles, she is a Google for Education Certified Innovator, 2014 Lead PBS Digital Innovator, and PBS SoCaL American Graduate Champion.
During the course of her career, she was a two-time recipient of the UCSD Outstanding High School Teacher award, a 2012 Microsoft Partners in Learning U.S. Finalist, and the 2012 Teacher of the Year at her school. She is also a consultant and presenter who regularly speaks at regional and national conferences.
The post 5 Things Every Digital Citizen Should Know #digcit appeared first on Cool Cat Teacher Blog by Vicki Davis @coolcatteacher helping educators be excellent every day. Meow!