Episode #32 with Scottish Maths Teacher Chris Smith
From the Cool Cat Teacher Blog by Vicki Davis
Follow @coolcatteacher on Twitter
Chris Smith @aap03102 is a Maths teacher from Scotland where his irrational passion for Pi earns him geeky renown. He is an enthusiastic ambassador for the beauty and usefulness of Mathematics and shares this message with his anyone who will listen.
- Stream by clicking here.
- Download this episode to listen offline by right-clicking here and choosing “Save As.”
In today’s show, we’ll discuss:
- How Chris’ car became the centerpiece of one Pi Day
- The Pi-M-C-A song that won Chris’ classroom international attention
- The Math-sterpiece his class is creating this year
- How to make math more exciting all year long
- How to find your spark for math again
I hope you enjoy this episode with Chris!
— Chris Smith (@aap03102) March 14, 2017
Selected Links from this Episode
- Twitter handle: @aap03102
- TED Talk: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0TACPw5NtUk
- Pi M C A Music Video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4FHuZaboPho
Chris Smith is a Maths teacher from Scotland where his irrational passion for Pi earns him geeky renown. He is an enthusiastic ambassador for the beauty and usefulness of Mathematics and shares this message with his anyone who will listen.
Chris writes a free weekly Maths newsletter for teachers with puzzles, lesson ideas, resources, Maths facts- if you’d like to join the list of almost 2000 subscribers, send him an email (firstname.lastname@example.org). He’s always excited about making new connections with Maths fans across the world!
Chris regularly speaks at Maths conferences in Scotland, has delivered a TEDx talk (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0TACPw5NtUk), helps run the Enterprising Maths in Scotland National Final (http://www.scottishmathematicalcouncil.org/wp1/enterprising-mathematics/), is a co-creator of the free-to-download-Pi-visualiser “Pi-Wire” (http://piwire.co.uk/), serves on the TES Maths Panel (https://www.tes.com/teaching-resources/blog/tes-maths-our-panel-teachers) and is a a member of the Scottish Mathematical Council (http://www.scottishmathematicalcouncil.org/wp1/members/).
Outside the world of Maths, Chris is married to Elaine, is dad to Daisy, Heidi and Logan (born in perfect arithmetic progression in 2007, 2008 and 2009), plays piano in Jiggered Ceilidh Band (http://www.jiggered.com/) and is a follower of Jesus.